Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holidailies

Me exploring a cave in a nature center on the Oregon coast.
Hi everyone! Since this blog is brand new, I thought I'd try this Holidailies website. It gives you a writing prompt for each day of December. It seems like this will be a good way for readers to get to know me!

Today's writing prompt is simple: Introduce yourself!

Well, my name is Nicki Mann. I live in the suburbs of Chicago, and I am the newly published author of The Princess's New Hair.

I have loved writing since I was a very little kid. I used to write stories every day. I also always loved reading. I learned to read when I was ridiculously young (like one or two years old) and I was rarely without a book in my hands. I used to get in trouble for hiding a book in my lap and reading during class, when I was supposed to be paying attention to a math or science lesson!

I also love animals. One strange fact about me is that, when I was little, I was terrified of dogs. When I was around eight, my parents adopted a four-month-old puppy from the local shelter. The puppy (whom I got the privilege of naming, and I chose the name Zip, after the dog in the Happy Hollisters childrens books) had been abused by her previous owners and was terrified of everyone. Having to get down really quietly and make myself non-threatening for this little puppy helped me get over my own fear of dogs. Ever since then, I have been a huge dog lover! I also love cats, and just about all other animals.

One other fact about me is that I have ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome. I work with children with special needs, and I think having ADHD and autism helps me to be more empathetic with the children. I have more patience for them, and I am able to understand where they are coming from.

I think it is important to help children, including those with special needs, to be proud of their differences, and to appreciate differences in others.

I am looking forward to writing some more tomorrow! Thanks for reading my blog!

5 comments:

  1. I love that the Holidailies exposes me to so many interesting people and blogs. I look forward to reading you this month. Thanks for checking out mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nikki. Nice to meet you! You sound like you are a busy lady. I have two grandchildren with ADHD...one lives with me. Has been interesting getting to learn how to deal with it. Right now we are on an even keel...I hope to get to know you better through the Holidailies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nicki! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Congrats on publishing a book - it sounds really fun! Hope you enjoy Holidailies! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicki and welcome to blogging and Holidailies.

    It is great once you find your own way with blogging and do what suits you.

    How fabulous to have written a book and had it published. Nice to have met you and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Nicki! Happy to be in Holidailies with you.

    ReplyDelete